No Shopify theme choice should be based solely on parameters like fonts or theme colors. Think of them as just the icing on the cake. Instead, what you might want to focus on first is nailing down the criteria of your theme selection by answering these following fundamental questions:
- What experience do I want to create for my target audience?
- What features do I want my store to have?
- What is my competition like and do I want to emulate it?
- How do I display my products on offer?
- How many products do I plan to display at once?
- Do I want to pay the theme or customize a free one?
Have these answers ready and only then will you be able to make a conscientious decision.
Entering the Shopify theme store
You will notice that the store is home to more than 100 different theme styles. In-house building teams and third-party developers have created a formidable bundle of excellent design templates which can satisfy the needs of any business. Still, always thoroughly evaluate each theme that draws your attention to make doubly sure quality and functionality are on par with your standards.
Shopify has been kind enough to enable advanced search and filter tools which drastically improve the whole process of finding the right theme. For instance, in the case of Comfort Puppy, an online retailer of pet equipment, the filter specs focused on a clear and broad layout style that distinctly shows products and enables easy and intuitive browsing. By narrowing down your theme parameter options, such as inventory size, layout style home page and social features, and more, you can create an experience for potential clients that can bring you not just money but also loyalty. Other benefits of using search tools include:
- Finding specific features, key terms, and particular theme designers.
- Browsing themes in categories. Shopify themes curate their collection based on trending themes, new features, styles, releases, etc.
- Providing inspiration from examples and applying those ideas to customize your unique theme.
- Examining demo stores to see the preview of the theme, which you can later adapt to your tastes, needs, and preferences with your own photos, branding, typography, etc.
- Reading and consulting theme reviews to gain more insight into other people’s experiences and knowledge.
Theme support should also be a deciding factor
The perfect theme has the perfect theme support. Just as third-party developers have their own support team so does Shopify offer their services whenever you run into any issues or concerns. Feel free to contact Shopify’s theme support team at email@example.com should you ever require any assistance.
Be willing to experiment and play
Like most things in life, best things happen when we play. Make sure to do the same when building a theme from the ground up. Take your time and let your imagination run free. Experimentation is key to get the best results so install and customize multiple themes in order to compare their user experience and esthetics. Before you decide on anything, always make sure to sort features that match the criteria for your business.
The approach “one size fits all” won’t do you much justice when it comes to Shopify themes. Every business has specific requirements and thus the online representation needs to adhere to those unique standards. After all, finding perfect Shopify theme should be an informed decision. It will feel right when you know did everything you can to make that website shine. Have you got experience on this matter? What theme are you using? Let us know in the comments below and we will discuss more on this topic with our next article!